Login

HOME Public Access Ladyboy Forums Free for all Technical: Computing & Internet

The biggest lesson in electronics

A few members here and myself know our way pretty well around windows and the internet and can assemble a computer without directions. We don't know everything, but we'll be happy to help.

The biggest lesson in electronics

Postby Jake » 17 Sep 2011, 22:22 •  [Post 1]

If it isn't broke don't fix it!

If I had a dollar for everytime I or someone ugraded a supposedly inferior bios, driver, firmware, operating system or other software and had nothing but problems afterwards, I'd be very very rich.

Had same problem today with my router. Constant dropped wifi.. Tried everything and I've been edgy and quick tempered all day only to realize I should have never upgraded it last night. Nothing but problems since.

So peeps if you have something that works.. Please dont fix it. This includes your lens collection but that is another story!
Jake

Re: The biggest lesson in electronics

Postby manarak » 17 Sep 2011, 22:42 •  [Post 2]

LOL
indeed.

but sometimes you cannot hold back the inner overclocker inside you...

maybe let's start a list of things we have already "fixed":
name of object, initial perceived problem or insufficience, result.
manarak
Global Moderator

Postby Jake » 17 Sep 2011, 23:24 •  [Post 3]

Uhhh Celeron 300A @ 450.. no wait let me get 500mhz out of it.. I did for 3 days and then fried!

Windows ME over 98.. nuff said.

Gainward GF3 Ti200 @ Ti500 speeds... this one was my favorite card.. it lasted a long time.

Hercules ATI 9600 @ 9800 speeds.. fried after a year.

Windows Vista over XP (although after 8 days.. I did manage to configure it to how I liked it).

Countless ATI and NVIDIA drivers looking for less artifacts, smoother gaming, less stutter when the software it shipped with was the best and all the "bug fixes" actually introduced bugs.

Upgrading to the socket 754 Athlon.. *greatest amd system* only to realize waiting 1 more month and dual core sli systems and motherboards would be out.

MSI K9 motherboard bios update when it wasn't needed.. dead motherboard. Tried to RMA and they said nothing doing.. you're fault. *bangs head against wall*. That was one way to justify move to dual core system though.

Buying a 46" HDTV only to realize hmm I like going abroad more than staying home.

iphone upgrading from 3.1.3 to 4.1.2 only to realize it was jailbroken and update failed.. and I lost my contact list in Pattaya as iphone does not save contacts on sim.

Oh and lets not get me started on lenses.. 2 35mm nikkors and a 30mm sigma.. all with focusing problems just so I could have 1 more lens.
Jake

Postby manarak » 17 Sep 2011, 23:34 •  [Post 4]

Uhhh Celeron 300A @ 450.. no wait let me get 500mhz out of it.. I did for 3 days and then fried!

haha.. I fried not one, but two! LOL
In a dual CPU system, which I then got running on two PIII Katmai @600 MHz.
Best system ever, I regret it.
It was loud though.

I also fried a pentium 90

Countless ATI and NVIDIA drivers looking for less artifacts, smoother gaming, less stutter when the software it shipped with was the best and all the "bug fixes" actually introduced bugs.

yes...
I am also guilty of that.
manarak
Global Moderator

Postby Jake » 18 Sep 2011, 18:30 •  [Post 5]

loud? What'd you have, 4 delta fans cooling it? :D

My first toy was a P100 which I never oc'ed.. by my first upgrade cycle I had the celeron 300A in mind.

Come to think of it, even though I love AMD's price for performance, I've always been tempted by Intel's overclockability. And they've always had it except for the williamatte chips and the awful P4 line.
Jake

Return to Technical: Computing & Internet