Login

HOME Public Access Ladyboy Forums Free for all Photography

Buying a Camera. What to know.

A little subforum where photo nuts can compare the length of their zooms.
Learn how to frame your ladyboys!

Buying a Camera. What to know.

Postby Bumblebee » 23 Jan 2011, 01:23 •  [Post 1]

For any of your guys thinking of buying a new camera, here are a couple of links to help you out. They deal with the different types of camera, what to look out for, and recommend the best in each category.

Should be of use to some of you.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/125645-2 ... amera.html
http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... eras.shtml
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Re: Buying a Camera. What to know.

Postby koykaeng » 23 Jan 2011, 12:30 •  [Post 2]

I've got four nice cameras, a couple of which are quite impressive, however I don't have an SLR as yet.

I keep thinking about trading a couple of them in, or selling them, as the urge to own an SLR is growing.

Whilst I've taken some fairly reasonable shots (especially with my Canon G10), the quality is still not the same as those shot with an SLR.

Private sales is probably the most sensible option, as I gather you'll get near enough to nothing as a trade in or via a pawn shop.

Will have to investigate my options further. :?

Cheers
Koykaeng
koykaeng
Trusted Member

Postby Jake » 23 Jan 2011, 16:59 •  [Post 3]

Just remember with an slr, the most important component are the lens. You can get much better pictures with an expensive lens and a lower price camera than a cheap lens and the best dslr.

And lenses can last a lifetime!
Jake

Postby Bumblebee » 24 Jan 2011, 00:34 •  [Post 4]

koykaeng wrote:I've got four nice cameras, a couple of which are quite impressive, however I don't have an SLR as yet.

I keep thinking about trading a couple of them in, or selling them, as the urge to own an SLR is growing.

Whilst I've taken some fairly reasonable shots (especially with my Canon G10), the quality is still not the same as those shot with an SLR.

Private sales is probably the most sensible option, as I gather you'll get near enough to nothing as a trade in or via a pawn shop.

Will have to investigate my options further. :?

Cheers
Koykaeng

Like yourself KK I don't have a DSLR but I was very tempted to buy one a few months back. There was the urge to buy one as I wanted to explore more aspects of photography. But then as I began to tot up all the extra costs such as lenses etc I decided not to buy one yet.

I really enjoy taking photos, but I could not justify in my mind the costs involved in going the DSLR route. Also I did not fancy lugging too much equipment around when I go out for a day's shooting. I see myself as an eager hobbyist, rather than someone who wants to get involved in lenses and other expensive accessories associated with DSLRs. In the end I settled on a Panasonic FZ40/45. It's got a fixed lens, 24 zoom (25 -600), and manual mode. More than enough for my needs for now. Perhaps I'll move up to the DSLR level in the future, time will tell.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Jake » 24 Jan 2011, 00:51 •  [Post 5]

I was very happy with a point and shoot and later on with a bridge camera but I ran into limitations when I wanted prints.

Truthfully just ask yourself.. are your pictures for computer viewing or making prints? That's the true test of if you need a point and shoot or a DSLR.

If its just for online or monitor viewing any point and shoot like S95 or a bridge camera is perfect. It looks perfectly DSLR quality like. But when you actually go to get prints made then the difference will show. But how many of us really want ladyboys printed out for everyone to see.

Oh and megapixels has nothing to do with quality of the image. A 6 megapixel DSLR camera makes better images than a 14 megapixel point and shoot or bridge when it comes to print quality but they'll appear the same on a screen.

Just take a look for yourself. This was taken with an 8 megapixel Canon 30D but with a good lens. And its next to impossible getting that with a point and shoot.

You really don't need more than 7 megapixels unless you will be doing major cropping of an image
Jake

Return to Photography