Login

HOME Public Access Ladyboy Forums Free for all Photography

Photography Tips

A little subforum where photo nuts can compare the length of their zooms.
Learn how to frame your ladyboys!

Photography Tips

Postby Bumblebee » 21 Jan 2011, 19:08 •  [Post 1]

I decided to start this thread here to give the guys who are not used to taking photos some simple pointers to help them improve their photos on their ladboy recording adventures. Now let me say from the start I am in no way a photography expert, far from it. I am just a guy who enjoys taking photos, reading tips online and putting them into practice. I don't even have a flashy DSLR, I only use a Canon S5 bridge camera and a Panasonic ZS3/TZ7 point and shoot. So I hope you more knowledgeable of photography BMs can help the guys out also.

Some BMs have said to me they like my photos because they make them feel like they are there in the bar with the girl. So I will start this off with some tips on taking those shots, the ones most of us will be taking, besides the room shots.

Rule of Thirds:
The most common mistake guys make is taking out their camera, holding it in the landscape position and placing the subject slap bang in the centre. This leaves a lot of wasted space above and either side of the subject. To combat this, if you want to use the landscape position, place your subject to the left or right, depending on the way they are looking. Also don't leave much space above their heads. This is called the Rule of Thirds.

Basically it means dividing the photo up in sections of 3, ie 2 horizontal lines and 2 vertical llines. Where the lines cross are where the eye naturally looks when observing a photo.

When you are aware of this rule you will see it everywhere. Notice it the next time you watch the news, chat shows, movies etc. It is one of the fundamentals of composition.

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guide ... hirds.html

Diagram 1 shows the rule of thirds and the main points the eye is attracted to on a photo.

Photo 1 the subject, Shar in this case, looks a bit lost in so much space. Why place her in the very centre?

Photo 2 by placing Shar to the left, we can only wonder what she is looking at in the distance.
ph1.jpg
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Re: Photography Tips

Postby SLBT_ » 21 Jan 2011, 21:37 •  [Post 2]

:clap: Great start to a developing thread BB... (pardon the pun) :lol:

IOt's always good to have tips on making your photos better. Not only the chick and glamour shots but the local area or trips you enjoy so the rest of the lads here can also revel in your enjoyment too..

I have a fujifilm Fs1000 fx bridging camera as my main battle tool and a somy cybershot Exmor R point n shoot..

I would love to know how to use photoshop too to get better results such as the pics taken by a well known member on another forum..

Outstanding
SLBT_
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 21 Jan 2011, 23:57 •  [Post 3]

SLBT_ wrote::clap: Great start to a developing thread BB... (pardon the pun) :lol:

IOt's always good to have tips on making your photos better. Not only the chick and glamour shots but the local area or trips you enjoy so the rest of the lads here can also revel in your enjoyment too..

I have a fujifilm Fs1000 fx bridging camera as my main battle tool and a somy cybershot Exmor R point n shoot..

I would love to know how to use photoshop too to get better results such as the pics taken by a well known member on another forum..

Outstanding

I only use Picasa and Faststone Image Viewer to tweek my photos, both free. What I want to show is what a BM can produce with a decent camera, be it a point and shoot, bridge or DSLR and a bit of know how. As I mentioned, I have taught myself all these tips from reading the internet and going out and taking practice shots
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 22 Jan 2011, 00:15 •  [Post 4]

Fill the Frame:

Another important basic tip is to fill the frame. I'll use the same photo to illustrate this point. When you are going to take a photo of someone, why not turn the camera around to portrait position. This way you can fill the frame. Use the zoom or walk to get closer to the subject to minimise the amount of empty space and emphasise the subject and show as much body as is possible. Compare this photo to the centred one of Shar.

http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... your-frame
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Soulboy » 22 Jan 2011, 01:40 •  [Post 5]

How should one compose a photo properly when ones hand is holding a full on "Scotland yard " and the camera hand is trembling knowing the "Scotland yard " is about to be sucked ?

Does the rule of thirds still apply or should I place my trunks on my head and go with the flow ?
Soulboy
Trusted Member

Postby Jake » 22 Jan 2011, 02:30 •  [Post 6]

First rule of those situations, is a shot is better than no shot. ;)
Jake

Postby Bumblebee » 22 Jan 2011, 02:55 •  [Post 7]

Exactly, just shoot whatever you see. ;)
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Admin » 22 Jan 2011, 11:39 •  [Post 8]

Soulboy wrote:How should one compose a photo properly when ones hand is holding a full on "Scotland yard " and the camera hand is trembling knowing the "Scotland yard " is about to be sucked ?

Does the rule of thirds still apply or should I place my trunks on my head and go with the flow ?

You got me confused there... I always it is not my job to hold Scotland Yard?
Someone else does it for me usually, and I return the courtesy.
Leaves me one hand for the point and shoot - the other hand does the same, though.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby hoot » 22 Jan 2011, 12:48 •  [Post 9]

good tips as always BB.

Question for Admin... the links to external websites that BB posted do not resolve. They try to use the ... in the URl that the forum software puts in, but I've tested a couple of extended links and they seem to work fine. Not sure what the issue maybe..

test link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photograph ... _rendering
hoot
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 22 Jan 2011, 14:04 •  [Post 10]

hoot wrote:good tips as always BB.

Question for Admin... the links to external websites that BB posted do not resolve. They try to use the ... in the URl that the forum software puts in, but I've tested a couple of extended links and they seem to work fine. Not sure what the issue maybe..

test link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photograph ... _rendering

Well spotted Hoot, and funnily enough your link does open. :shock:
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Admin » 22 Jan 2011, 14:30 •  [Post 11]

Hmmm... BB, did you copy-paste the posts from another forum?

It would be my guess that the originating forum also has URL shortening, so that the URL was copied with ... in it already.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bumblebee » 22 Jan 2011, 15:48 •  [Post 12]

Admin wrote:Hmmm... BB, did you copy-paste the posts from another forum?

It would be my guess that the originating forum also has URL shortening, so that the URL was copied with ... in it already.

Yea that would be it alright. Here are the links that did not open.

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guide ... hirds.html
http://www.yourphototips.com/2009/01/29 ... our-flash/
http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... your-frame
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Admin » 22 Jan 2011, 18:15 •  [Post 13]

I repaired the links with those provided, but could not find the turn off your flash one.

This is certainly for a tip to come ? :-)
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bumblebee » 22 Jan 2011, 22:20 •  [Post 14]

Admin wrote:I repaired the links with those provided, but could not find the turn off your flash one.

This is certainly for a tip to come ? :-)

That's a bonus tip lol. Actually I posed it by mistake, got a bit mixed up with cut and paste, but let it stand, it's useful enough and links to a good site.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 22 Jan 2011, 22:22 •  [Post 15]

Some more examples of the rule of thirds combined with filling the frame as much as you can with your subject. When the girls are sitting in one direction or the other, use the portrait position and move them to one side or the other. Fight the urge to centre them or you will have some wasted space behind the subject.

If you imagine the rule of thirds grid over these photos the vertical lines would pass through the upper body and the lower horizontal line going across the legs.

Photos 1, placing Lidia to the left so she is in an L shape showing off those legs, yummy.

Photo 2, placing Nut to the right so she is in an L shape in reverse.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 24 Jan 2011, 12:37 •  [Post 16]

Most cameras have an option of displaying the grid that will help you compose your photos using the rule of thirds, yes that is what those annoying lines ruining your display screen are for.

This example shows how the lines cross at the girl's smile., thus drawing our attention to it. Not sure if she is packing, very much doubt it.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 24 Jan 2011, 12:42 •  [Post 17]

To get as much of those legs in as possible, I get the girls to sit in a position that minimises the amount of wasted space and maximises as much body as we can fit in the frame. Try to use the extremes of the frame to fit in as much body as you can. Can you imagine how unpleasing on the eye the following 3 photos would be if I had placed the faces on the middle of the frame. Use portrait if if suits more as in the first 2 photos, and as you can see landscape suits the 3rd photo more in this particular situation.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Jake » 25 Jan 2011, 02:44 •  [Post 18]

I don't often link GG's on lb sites but I'd love to replicate this shot with a few lb's..

Jake

Postby Bumblebee » 26 Jan 2011, 01:53 •  [Post 19]

I am sure you could replicate that pretty easily Jake. :twisted:

Ok gents, you have the lady back in the room on a lovely Thai or where ever you are sunny afternoon. You think yeah she would look great posing in the window area or on the balcony while you shoot from inside the room. Everything looks perfect, she is playing up to the camera and you take your shots.

You review them on the monitor of your camera and to your disappointment she appears as just a silhouette. What can you do?

Well the easiest thing to do is force your flash to go off and therefore illuminate the subject. You can use this technique outside in daylight also where the sun is behind the subject.

The lovely Liou was kind enough to assist me in illustrating this point. Guess which one used the flash? lol.
http://www.best-family-photography-tips ... flash.html
http://www.digital-photography-school.c ... fill-flash
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby pandemonium » 27 Jan 2011, 01:37 •  [Post 20]

cheers bb
pandemonium

Postby Bumblebee » 27 Jan 2011, 19:47 •  [Post 21]

pandemonium wrote:cheers bb

No probs, now get snapping and posting. ;)
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 27 Jan 2011, 19:50 •  [Post 22]

In the following two photos you can see how I composed the face. In the first photo the girl is facing to the left and so I positioned her more over to the right to give the feeling of space to the left.

In the second she is facing more directly towards the camera, so I centred her slightly more is this photo, but filled as much of the frame as I could with limited space above her head.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 30 Jan 2011, 01:36 •  [Post 23]

Horizons.
So you decide to spend a day at the beach with your chosen lady. The water looks like a great place to take some shots so your shoot some nice photos. You get the girl posing like you want her, and then review the photos. They look great, but damn the horizon is slanting at an angle. This a common mistake guys make. They are so preoccupied with the model they forget the background.

The free software Picasa allows you to rotate the photo to level the horizon. See the difference it makes in the examples below. Again always trying to fill the frame to give that close up feeling with your subject.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Bumblebee » 30 Jan 2011, 01:58 •  [Post 24]

Horizons Part 2:

Let's stay on the beach for a bit longer. Usually when you take photos of the horizon you can align it on the horizontal on the rule of thirds grid.

If the sky is clear it can be best to align it on the upper line to emphasise the vastness of the sea and if there is a cloudy sky you are normally best to place it on the lower line to give a more dramatic sky. It really depends on which of the two you are trying to emphasise. To place it in the middle of the frame cuts it in two and is not very appealing to the eye.
Bumblebee
Trusted Member

Postby Jake » 30 Jan 2011, 23:06 •  [Post 25]

If its just a landscape, I sometimes like the horizons tilted a bit just to make it seem a bit more exotic like a sunset but normally I agree.
Jake

Next

Return to Photography